Mr & Mrs C owned a four bedroom townhouse, over four floors and situated on top of a hill. It had been ideal for bringing up their three children.
Mrs C developed severe mobility problems, leaving her unable to to manage the stairs independently. They had to make her bedroom on the ground floor next to the kitchen and living room. This meant she had no access to bathroom facilities and was dependent on carers to help her wash, dress and empty the commode. Mr C works full time and struggled to care for his wife and run their large home.
Due to the design of the house, the Community Occupational Therapist was unable to recommend suitable adaptations. The Community Worker was also intensively involved. They both suggested relocating as an option. With Mr & Mrs C ‘s agreement, they were referred to Moving Together Devon.
The Community Worker had already begun to help with sorting out their finances, clearing unwanted belongings, and finding retirement properties. We were able to help Mr & Mrs C:
- Put their property on the market. The estate agent was instrumental in using local knowledge and liaised directly with a solicitor who was able to visit this couple at home.
- Research into suitable retirement flats and escort Mr C to two viewings
- Liaise with the estate agent and scheme manager of the complex
- Complete Moving Plan. This needed revising regularly to fit in with help from family and friends
- Set up joint phone and video calls with family to ensure everyone was clear as to who was doing what and when
- Arrange a first clearance of furniture and belongings that would definitely not be required.
- Buy new furniture and arrange direct delivery to the new place on moving day
- Change of address/post redirection, closing down and setting up utilities
- Arrange removal and second clearance
- Help on moving day
- Follow up visits to help unpack and settle in
Outcome: Mr & Mrs C now live in a two bedroom ground floor flat in a retirement block, with support from the scheme manager and communal facilities. The property is easier to manage and cheaper to run. Mrs C is able to manage all facilities quickly and easily.
‘ This is the first time I have been debt free in all my married life’ – Mr C
‘I no longer need to use a commode’ – Mrs C
If you are moving house and are unsure how to get started or where to find out then get in touch so we can help.